Careers (posted July 23th 2022)
Topas Therapeutics GmbH is a private Hamburg, Germany-based biotechnology company focused on developing therapeutics to address areas of major unmet need, namely autoimmune diseases, allergies and anti-drug immune responses. Topas’ nanotechnology platform induces antigen-specific immune tolerance by harnessing the liver’s natural immunology capabilities. The company last year closed an extended Series B financing round of €40 mln setting it up for further growth. It is conducting a first clinical trial in the rare skin disease Pemphigus vulgaris and is about to start a second clinical program in Celiac disease. Topas also has a rich pipeline with programs in rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, type-1-diabetes and to overcome immune reactions against gene therapies. Topas’ investors are: BioMed Partners, Boehringer Ingelheim Venture Fund, EMBL Ventures, Epidarex Capital, Evotec, Gimv and Vesalius.
Topas is seeking a
Head of Project Management (m/f/d)
The Head of Project Management oversees cross-functional planning and execution of the Topas project portfolio, including definition of the operational strategy, management of timelines, risk assessment and mitigation, cost and quality. He/she coaches and mentors the Project Leaders, helps them to develop and grow in their role, as well as understand and support their long-term development goals. The Head of Project Management reports to the Chief Operating Officer and is tasked with building an industry compliant Project management function capable of delivering Topas’ commitment to transform patients' lives through leading science.
In addition to the functional responsibilities the Head of Project Management works in close collaboration with the Topas leadership - contributing to the pipeline strategy and driving operations for the portfolio. He/she shapes project management deliverables and ensures they are available and accurate to support executive project oversight and steering as well as cyclical corporate processes, e.g., budget, long term strategic and financial planning, portfolio reporting, etc.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Leads the Topas portfolio of development and platform projects
- Maintains oversight of portfolio and proactively identifies and escalates systemic issues which require project- or company-level action
- Coaches, mentors and develops individual contributor project managers to drive excellence and accountability; sets direction for expectations of the role
- May step in ad interim to provide individual contributor project management support to project(s)
- Advises on governance expectations and helps project managers prepare effectively for key decision point discussions and senior leadership interactions
- Develops and retains talent within Project Management Function with an eye towards building a diverse organization which is open to new ideas and enables success for colleagues of different backgrounds and experiences.
- Shares insights with project managers to enable understanding of the enterprise/portfolio perspective as it applies to their individual programs
- Embodies project management behaviors and competencies and serves as a role model for project managers.
- Efficiently manages cross functional/organizational relationships required to execute plans
- Development of processes to facilitate interfaces between Project Management and associated Functions
- In charge of trainings and implementation of project management processes across the organization
- Ensures project management deliverables to cyclical processes are available and accurate to ensure effective decision making in various processes e.g., Budget, Long Term Financial Planning, Strategic Planning, etc.
- Leads communications of portfolio status, risks and mitigations and changes to scope, timelines and budget at cross-functional forums. May serve as project manager for such forums.
- Has oversight to ensure accuracy of the project data for their portfolio
- Advanced degree (MS/M.D. or Ph.D. preferred) in Medicine or Life Sciences or other relevant discipline. In addition, MBA or PMP certification is desirable.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in biotech/pharmaceutical industry, including 5 years in cross-functional project management.
- Expert in immunology drug development with the ability to participate in and lead strategic discussions
- Experience with regulatory interactions (scientific advice or similar); experience with drug approval process of advantage
- Leadership skills including situational leadership, ability to lead a team of experts and influence without authority
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead matrix teams, knows how to work at the strategic level and when to delve deeper to resolve issues and challenges.
- Can pivot flexibly from strategy to operations and explain the interconnections to internal and external collaborators with a wide variety of backgrounds and disciplines
- Experience in drug development at both the individual project level and across a portfolio of projects
- Expertise with commonly used project management tools and techniques with demonstrated ability to apply them situationally
- Strong communicator able to integrate and succinctly summarize the various parts of a project and effectively tailor messages to audience incl. senior leaders and supervisory board members.
- Ability to resolve complex problems and manage difficult stakeholder situations
- Ability to lead the development of critical path analyses and scenario planning
- Excellent Project Management Skills - drives execution while balancing speed, quality, and cost
- Fluency in English, German of advantage
Regular physical presence at the Topas worksite is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
If you think you have the right skills and experience, and a wish to join a highly motivated team with a passion for science, we invite you to apply at: firstname.lastname@example.org. In the e-mail subject line, please indicate the position title: Head of Project Management.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected will be invited for an interview.